Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Redheads and Stigmas

I am sorta, kinda, totally obsessed with redheads. It's not like I favor redheads, I just like going to places like Six Flags and seeing "my people" reapplying SPF 45 in thick white streaks. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Redheads are actually a minority that doesn't get much cred. For example, have you realized that the number of redheads have declined over time? It's a dying trait. (Okay, okay,...I totally wasn't trying to make a joke, but it actually has a little situational humor. Sweet!)

There's actually a trait linked to some red hair genes that causes the red to fade out over time. (Like by the time you're in your 20's.) No wonder we're a dying breed, close to half fade into normal brunettes. Which is where I fall.

My hair color is still no where near a "normal" shade, but there's speculation. I was born with bright red hair, got a few carrot head jokes as a kid, and by middle school my friends were describing my hair as "cheese orange." Now I have people standing up to me left and right trying to convince me I'm not a redhead.

There are certain stereotypes attached to blondes, but blondes & brunettes don't realize that when you're born a redhead, it becomes a part of your personality. But some stereotypes are just stereotypes. People say redheads are hot headed and temperamental. Not always. When I get mad I eventually vent to someone but in the heat of the moment I just get quiet...and start cleaning. (Hence, it's good that my room is always soo messy.)

But even if your hair color fades, if you're a redhead, you will usually have an obsession for sunscreen only healthy for redheads. And because of the skin tone we get dealt, we'll always have at least a small amount of freckles. It just comes with the territory.

So why am I so obsessed with my hair color fading? (Because technically the summer sun lightened/brightened it up a lot.) Well, I had the realization the other day that my hair is a reflection of who I am, and I too have been fading into just going through the motions, again, and I've failed to let myself be fully happy.

In my process of getting back to taking a thousand pictures and going to shows every week, I made a decision. Over the course of the semester I've gotten 3 offers for a free home hair cut. A change would be nice, so I'm going to take Janie up on her offer. If you watch the show Gossip Girl you'll know that Jenny cut her hair off last season and it looks really good. Well Janie wants to give me around that length, with what she describes as "sharp" bangs, which maybe translates into fierce? And then to give it some more of my personality she's gonna give me some cute layers. I think all in all I might be losing 4 to 5 inches, tonight! Crazy. So hair cuts, they're nice. They can be drastic, but they're usually pretty safe.

That's why, if Janie can give my hair what I want, I'm going to get it colored a Jenny Lewis red! I know, I'm on a Jenny theme. But Jenny Lewis is my redheaded idol, even though I had to miss her amazing show last night. I'm excited. My older sister has always had this gorgeous deep red hair and people always compliment her hair before even looking my way. (Jenny's shade is in the middle of what my hair is now & what my sister's is.)

Thank God I live in Athens, where if I go somewhere to get a hair cut I have a good chance of running into hair dressers who have good taste in music and know what I'm talking about without a picture. I love this town.

I'm so excited, even though my internet is not working and the SLC has become my savior, tonight will wash all that away.

Popsicles, good friends, free hair cut, and Project Runway here I come!
posted by Songs of Love at 2:16 PM |

5 Comments:

At October 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
I might say, this hair-color rant is the best that I've ever seen.
 


At October 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Blogger Songs of Love said........
Thank you. I've actually done scientific, eh...google, research on redheads. I just really hate when people try to purposefully put you down and sometimes I get so stirred up inside and stat is really boring so...I rant.
 


At October 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
Hmm. Still interesting, despite google research. To be honest, I've never been put down on basis of hair color... anything in appearance, really, so I have no clue how to sympathize, but I try, and I can kind of understand.
Please, send me a text message:
7705392260
 


At October 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Everything about this post makes me so happy. Finally somebody understands the significance of our hair color. I really do feel a connection with every single other redhead on this planet. But I'm wondering... what happened about the haircut? And also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)
-your secret (redheaded) lover who sits next to you in poli sci.
 


At October 7, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Blogger Songs of Love said........
Maggie!!!! I won't lie, I had this feeling when we met that we were going to be friends. You were just a friendly redhead who was just as lost as I was and that trio was grounds for a very promising beginning.
The haircut was postponed due to stalker stress. Now I'm not sure if I want to cut it off before the party.
And since when did we become lovers? I mean, there was that time with the wine and your bed, but... [=
Thanks for the birthday love!