Friday, April 24, 2009
I know I said my blog was on hiatus, but Kaitlyn's grandpa died today and I can't stop listening to The Format. I keep listening to the acoustic version of On Your Porch, and I can't help noticing my dad is a lot like the one in the song. And all of my dreams of him dying, that time Lauren almost cried because she never had a dad who cared so much, and all of those heartfelt messages he gives me, they all just make me cry helplessly. And all the things I could tell you, all of the tiny habits we've accumulated and the copious amount of facts we know together, could never measure up to how loved I feel when I hear this song.
And then there's my mother and how much she cares for me. They say my greatest fault is that I care so much about my friends, but I get that from her. Even if she doesn't like my music, she plays the mixtape I made for her, The Meaning of Family, and she laughs and jokes and cries with it. And if she could she'd pull me out of the desert, but it's a road I have to take alone, so she does her best to bring me into the sunlight.

Nate wrote At The Wake about his grandfather dying, and The Piano Song is the earlier version of it. I wish there were hope for her in it, but you can never come back from a loss so great. So instead turn to On Your Porch and The First Single and find the person you've been forced to become, and just remember where you've come from. And one day you'll find what you need.
posted by Songs of Love at 11:46 PM |

0 Comments: