Saturday, January 6, 2018
My fitbit goals were off the charts (for me) for most of last year between working at Nordstrom and working in the garden. I started off taking Tess on a lot of walks, but it was hard to drag her out of the yard after the fence was built.

There was this point after I had been in casts for over a month that I was like, "No fuck this, I can still work out my core & my legs and I'm not going to let this stupid cast hold me back!"  I cannot stress how hard it is not to move your arms when you move.* So then my whole body was heated up, and I couldn't really cool down my arm, and it was sweaty and trapped in a cast I was stuck with for another week.   That part was inconvenient, sure, but the smell!  Oh, the smell made my stomach turn.**

So when I get out of this wretched cast I am going to start my home workouts again. I still have both of my braces, so as soon as my doctor gives me the okay to go into the lighter one, I am going to start using the more structured one for my workouts.  I was so much healthier last year.  I even reached my weight goal.  I want to get back there.  It's impossible to weigh yourself with a cast and get an accurate reading, so I have no clear idea how far off I am.  I just want to be a healthier me.  All around.  Healthy, happy, doing what I love.

 *I actually had a nerve block in my arm for this surgery.  One of the worst decisions of my life.  When you start to regain feeling, it's not all at once and not all in the same area.+   It took quite a few hours for all of the feeling to come back to me, I want to say it was double the time that the Anesthesiologist had said.  I am still missing some feeling in my hand, which is hard to tell with the cast on and they do think I will feel more when it's off, BUT there is a little path up my pointer finger that just feels cold and I do not think the cast is causing that.  I think they nicked another nerve.  And I think that I would have realized all of this a lot faster if I had not gone with the nerve block.

+ Funny thing about getting a nerve block for your wrist is that they numb your whole arm from a nerve in your shoulder.  While it is numb, it is completely dead weight, and you have to carry it/support it with your other arm or it will dangle and hit things and that is a really easy way to injure something you just had operated on.  I also realized how heavy an arm is.  It's not as light as I thought it was.

**That's another difference with this surgery.  I have been so nauseous since then.  It was like 2 or 3 weeks after my surgery that I started getting car sickness and would get to work just in time to puke.  Sometimes in the morning I have to delay getting ready because continuous movement can make me nauseous.  Brushing my teeth/mouthwash, nauseous.  And my stomach turns now, over several things, not infrequently.  Feels like it's being wrung out.  And all of this started after I had finished all of the additional medication from the surgery.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Songs of Love at 11:32 PM |

0 Comments: