Tuesday, March 22, 2011
I opened up to my ASB group about my kitten poems and my daydream of writing a children's book of poems about cats (& now I'm thinking pets in general). In my last creative writing class I wrote about cats in almost all of my in class writing exercises so I have to dig around and read them again. They're mostly lighthearted and simple, but they just make me happy. Maybe writing silly cat poems is what I need in order to avoid writer's block.

I finally shared this one with Kayley. I don't have a title for it yet but I guess I regard it as the flamingo poem. Definitely a work in progress. The guy in the poem can either be a cat or a guy, though towards the end it sounds less like a cat.

I sewed the pink flamingo's throat,
knotted the ends so you won't see
the flesh and gauze contained in she.
Said cautiously in a note.

He told me of a gaping mouse
that he had no skill in thread.
I was on my way to bed
but yearned to visit his house.

A string of baby blue
hid silently in my pocket
for the boy inside my locket -
for his confusion to subdue.

I never patched his holes when
I was his, he covered them
so I wouldn't pity him.
How I want to return to then.

I would fill his holes and
feed his cat. He could
trust me, for I would
never let go his hand.
posted by Songs of Love at 2:16 AM |

0 Comments: