Thursday, November 27, 2008
Fix It by Ryan Adams
Lindsay can dwell on my ability to, like Mary, choose the worst song on the new album. But that's okay, because Ryan told me he would fix it, and right now I need him to fix this nightmare that I'm in.

Phantom Planet has officially broken up. With no hopes of future tours or future albums, or future blog videos. Phantom Planet with whom Haley and I went on a date with. Phantom Planet, the band that tried to poison me with a delectable apple. Phantom Planet whom I talked venue sizes with as if we all wanted more tours.

Even my mother acted sad, for thirty seconds. Alex, Darren, Jeff, Sam - thirty seconds is a lot of time for my mother to spend not hollering at me. Why couldn't we have had a party first? Alex can dance and get rug burn and Jeff can poison Mary, and Darren can make art in the art corner of my room, and Sam can have a beer with Haley.

If you had let us, we would have thrown the lamest attempt at the best going away party ever. Now my dreams are forever ruined and I will not slow dance with Darren while faking serious faces or make funny songs about fruit with Alex. Well technically that last one was a dream, so I can still do that one whenever I clean out the fridge.

Fan girls all around the world should be happy that the boys are moving on as strong friends, who simply want to do other things, rather than a torn up love less band. All I ask is you blog individually or jointly at all of your drunken shin-dig reunions. For the broken hearted fans.

I know Thanksgiving is the day of embarrassing Christmas sweaters that give just enough room for you to get fatter in, but Haley, please, wear black tomorrow in memory of the band that brought us together. And because I was already going to wear a stretchy black shirt tomorrow.

And when you sneak your champagne into dinner and tell your family it's just sparkling cider, make a toast to the best blog making band our pathetic little hearts ever loved. To Phantom Planet!

Labels: ,

posted by Songs of Love at 12:32 AM |

2 Comments:

At November 27, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Oh god Jillian. I am actually getting teary-eyed. The mental image of that going away party is just too fucking much; my heart is broken. I want my beer with Sam.

They were such a huge part of my adolescence. It really is the end of an era for me. I think we are some of the very few and proud fans who have stuck it out and understand how bittersweet this is.

They never did get the true recognition they deserved for being...what? A great pop band. Just that. Nothing more, nothing less. A bunch of goofy guys with something genuine to share. And all these shitty bands passed them by, and catapulted to undeserved fame, while they stayed true to themselves and never just coasted by on their 15 minutes of Jason Schwartzman fame or "California" hype. They reinvented and reimagined, and faded in and out of obscurity, and it wasn't ever fair, but they stuck it out for FIFTEEN YEARS and kept doing what they loved.

It might be time. It might be the best thing. But goddamn if it doesn't hurt.
 


At November 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Blogger Songs of Love said........
I knew giving you the coveted beer moment would only bring tears. I was trying to figure out where I'd be in all of this and I was satisfied with DJ/lead back up dancer, cause ya know, we all like a good bit of entertainment.

I was hoping this image of the worst going away party ever would make you laugh a little, and if not I was hoping you'd think of that article about how college students can sneak around during the holidays being drunk all of the time around family. "Just convince your family that you REALLY like Coke."

But since this has only erected an overall heart broken mood, I say we hold our own going away/drunk dance party. I have an early final Thursday, so how about Thursday night?!