Sunday, February 18, 2018
I downloaded a few gardening apps last summer but it was too late in the year for them to really be useful to me. At the beginning of the year, they are the modern almanac! Well kinda. Biggest questions I have is when can I start inside and what needs to start outside first and when? Well this really depends on when the last freeze is predicted to be. I'm guessing that's not as easy to determine before Groundhog's Day, but today was the perfect day to check!

The last spring freeze will be 4/15/18.

For most seeds that you start inside they recommend starting 8-6 weeks in advance. And today is 8 weeks before the last freeze!!! I can start my tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cabbage! In two weeks I can add the basil & lavender to my indoor greenhouse!

My biggest obstacle is Fitz. He likes to eat the tops off my plants. I think I'll have to request to set up my table upstairs this spring. This looks like another year where I'm going to move with a couple dozen plants. I am so excited to build raised garden beds next year though.

Gardening has really brought me back to myself. I had become such an indoor creature, depressive, addicted to screens, thinking that heat and sweat were enemies. Keeping my garden alive changed that. I am so ready to be back in my garden, reading another enchanting book, throwing the ball for Tess, sunbathing with her when we need to take a break from playing. Spritzing my spray bottle on leaves and veggies and Tess and myself. Floating in the peaceful little pool afterward when all the kids have gone back home. (Only real joy of living in a neighborhood under construction is the limited number of kids at the pool. And since it's still not really safe to let your kids play in the streets with all these strangers in the neighborhood, they also can't go to the pool by themselves yet!)

Yesterday Tess and I walked the neighborhood trying to get back in shape. Sweating in my brace was awful gross. I don't want to get dirt all over it so I really need to find a gardening partner for the beginning of spring. I am sort of talented at making dirt bloom up in the air, getting in my hair, behind my ears, down the front of my shirt. Really need to avoid that with this "air dry only" brace.

But really, can it please be spring already?

Labels: , ,

posted by Songs of Love at 12:11 PM |

0 Comments: