Saturday, February 17, 2018
The weather was nice for a short time today so I went for a walk around the duck pond at work today.  There were no ducks, but the turtles have been populating.  I saw at least 30 turtles sunbathing peacefully, except for two who were in the mud among trash.  There were so many bottles and pieces of trash strewn on the water's edge, in the surrounding bushes, and even up in the grass past the sidewalk.  It's so disgusting, I don't know how people can just throw their trash on the ground and not walk the extra ten steps to a trash can.  What's worse is that this place is home to so  much wildlife, and these idiots have put those animals in danger.

My family is too lazy to trek to our old suburb on the weekend, and my hometown friends don't live out there anymore, but I am going to start asking around for someone to help me with a clean-up project.  One, because it will look a lot weirder if it's just me out there in my rain boots, kitchen gloves, and a trash bag.  Second, I want to sort it into recyclables and garbage and I don't want to get stuck carrying both garbage bags.

When I see stuff like that, garbage on the side of the road, bottles overflowing trash cans with no recycling bins in sight, it just doesn't make sense.  It is so easy to fix those situations.  Sometimes I get compulsive about it, mostly recycling, because I can do it at home.  I have access to recycling bins in so many places.  So I don't see why it's so hard to hold on to a recyclable item until you get to a recycling bin.   I wish more people thought this way.  I even bought a book about recycling for my niece when she gets older.  Books are the best.

Labels: ,

posted by Songs of Love at 2:07 PM |

0 Comments: