Sunday, February 17, 2019
Blood oranges and blooming orchids, what a weekend!

I have been fascinated with orchids since the end of high school.  Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak album cover may have started it all.  My ex may have given me my first orchid, but I doubt I was able to keep it alive.  Somehow my mom inherited a lot of my gifted orchids, with a few leaves but no stems.

I went to visit an old friend in St. Augustine in the fall of 2017 and came back enthused to bring my collection of orchids to bloom again.  Last fall I bought a beautiful orchid on clearance row, which was strange because it clearly had several healthy buds close to blooming.  I was nervous to re-pot it, but wanted it to have the best of the best, so I bought a new pot, ideal potting materials, and it continued growing stems.  It started growing blooms at the end of January or beginning of February, and right after Valentine's Day it bloomed!

There's more though!  One of my older purple blooming orchids had leaves but no stems left when I returned to it.  It's grown a healthy stem and has small little purple blooms growing slowly. 

Also blood oranges are back in grocery stores and they are so sweet and delicious!

Labels:

posted by Songs of Love at 10:37 PM |

0 Comments: