Sunday, September 29, 2019
Earlier this year I found an article recommending audiobooks for different genres, taking the recording artists into consideration, and I’ve been slowly working through it. There are some books that I want to read in my own voice, but there are other books I would never have read had there not been a recorded audiobook. One such book was Bruce Springsteen’s autobiography, Born to Run.

I never listened to his music growing up outside what was played on the radio. I think the only song I really knew was his is Born in the U.S.A. I knew he was from the north, blue collar, and had a band.

The book was better than I was expecting. There’s a period of his life he opens up about towards the end of the book that reminded me of what I went through the summer of 2016. I’ve struggled with anxiety and I’ve struggled with depression, but I’d never gone through something so upside down before. And I’d never heard of anyone else describe it. His instance is different in a few ways, but I really connected with it. Outside of my immediate family and previous roommate watching it happen,  I’ve never spoken to anyone about it before so I never felt I could relate to anyone about it.

Other than that, the book opened me up to his music, to making music, and that deep appreciation for music. I’d found this song over the summer that I liked enough to put on a mix by Soccer Mommy. Lo and behold it’s a cover of Bruce’s song I’m On Fire. Soccer Mommy’s cover is mellow and chill and it feels right for summer nights. Turns out Bruce’s original, although more lively and growly, feels like summer nights in the car with the windows down.

I like them both so much I started a new mix, Little Fires Everywhere. Bruce opens the mix and Soccer Mommy ends it. On loop they sound good after each other too. The mix isn’t finished, but I’m really enjoying it so far.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Songs of Love at 10:53 PM |

0 Comments: