Saturday, January 10, 2009
Although girls love to compare relationships in conversation, when you get down to it, no two relationships are the same. There's always at least one significant difference, and that difference is what generally makes or breaks the relationship.

All of my friends are currently in different relationships. One has a much older boyfriend, who has a son. One is still together with her high school boyfriend, but things aren't like high school with them any more. I have a friend who just wants to date a boy without the awkward beginning, and a friend who savors the awkward beginnings. Some sleep with their exes, some sleep with the guys they're "just dating." Some want to crush their exes and some just want to forget their pasts.

Then there's me. I just screw myself up. Do you remember when in middle school, if a boy was particularly mean to a girl it was generally because he liked her? For most of my early childhood in Herndon things were reversed. Girls were mean or shy or avoided the boys they liked and the boys had no idea what a girl's problem was. My roommate let me borrow High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and it has opened my eyes a bit to the other side of the spectrum.

Some how I have managed to take my shyness with me through out all of the stages of development. I avoid anyone I have the potential to like because I'm horribly shy around the guys I like. Let's be honest, I'm horribly shy around all new people. It's something I've tried to get over but lingers in the moment anyway.

Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer comes on and I think of my friend who just wants a guy to date. The song paints a fairly clear picture of two people on a date. It's a fairly romantic date and I wonder, has anyone tried to recreate this date? That would be really cool.
The song also reminds me that I haven't had a really good kiss in a long time. That'd make a pretty good entry, not my pathetic love life, but what constitutes a good kiss. Yeah, that will definitely need its own entry because you could take that pretty far if you dare and because I never know how far I'll dare to go.

L. gave me another really good blog idea, but it deserves it's own entry as well, so it will come later. Kiss Me will be a good tool to expand L.'s idea that the L-word is a control mechanism. Leigh Nash definitely has the control in this song, as she orders her lover around left and right. Kiss me, lead me, swing me on this tire swing, strike up the band. She wants a lot.

What do you want? What do I want?
A good date? Someone to date? A second chance? A new romance? A good kiss?
posted by Songs of Love at 8:27 PM |

0 Comments: