Friday, July 29, 2011
Sleepy Fitz is mad at me because we came upstairs to go to bed before 12 and I still haven't fallen asleep. That and my squealing has woken him up. My two new obsessions? Listening to Cults on repeat and reading David Levithan's new novel, The Lover's Dictionary. I was pretty tired and wanted to fall asleep but reading this book was such a better idea. The narrator is unnamed, but an assumed male. Except for the definition of abstain, his lover could be a male or female. And really, abstain could be his lover's joke. I like not knowing, because I can apply the definitions to myself, and that makes it even more personal. I feel like his definitions encompass me, but I fit in casually, swapping between being the narrator and being the lover.


encroach, v.

The first three nights we spent together, I couldn't sleep. I wasn't used to your breathing, your feet on my legs, your weight in the bed. In truth, I still sleep better when I'm alone. But now I allow that sleep isn't always the most important thing.

- D.L.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Songs of Love at 1:31 AM |

0 Comments: